Silky Smooth Classic Flan

Saturday, March 23, 2019







Hello earthlings,

I officially decided to make Saturday as my experiment kind of day with FOOODDDD~ huh, I wish I have my own kitchen so that I can do my food experiment everyday because sharing the kitchen with strangers is really hard. I have to schedule my time to cook to prevent overcrowded environment in the kitchen. I will surely have my very own kitchen someday, but for now.. I guess my bank account is not gonna allow me to.

 Anyway, for some reasons I decided to make my own dessert. Well, I don't have any ice-cream stocked in my fridge, and just the thought of going out and buying it makes me feel lazy. The closest store I can get ice-cream is from ALDI, and for god’s sake it takes about 30 minutes to walk there. Oh also, I woke up this morning and the road was covered with snow. Yeah, I think it should be a really solid reason not to go out just to get a pint of ice-cream.

 Let's get to the point now. So, I made a very simple yet tasty caramel flan and trust me you can do it in like 15 minutes (that's just the preparation time)! I didn't have high hopes for how my flan was gonna taste. Knowing me, I am not really good at baking and I failed miserably. I nailed it this time around. I was amazed because it turned out so good. *still eating my flan right now*

By the way, Flan is a really popular creamy custard dessert in Spain. Malaysia has it too. We call it Puding Gula Hangus. Japanese called it Purin. What a cute name. I guess they all taste the same and probably the preparation is what makes them different. Before we start, don't worry if you don't have the mixer cause I don't have it too. I just use a blender to mix all the ingredients *wink*

Ingredients

For caramel 
3/4 cup of fine sugar
1 tbsp water

For custard
3/4 cup of fine sugar (you can reduce the amount of sugar if you are not so into sweet things)
1 can of evaporated milk
2 large eggs
1/2 tbsp vanilla essence *optional

Preparation

For caramel
1. Heat up your pan over medium heat. Put all the sugar for caramel. When the sugar starts to melt, stir constantly until it completely melts and turns dark brown.
2. Immediately, pour the melted sugar into ramekins and swirl it around to coat the bottom of the ramekins. Set it aside. (You can use any type of baking dish as long as they are oven-safe)

For custard
1. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
2. In a blender, put eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla essence, and sugar. Blend it all until they mix together.
3. Pour the mixture into the ramekins. Cover them with aluminium foil.
4. To bake, fill the baking dish with water about halfway up. Put the ramekins into the baking dish.
5. Bake the custard for 60 minutes. Cool the flan down at room temperature for 10 minutes.
6. To serve, run a knife around the edge of the dish, and invert the flan onto a serving plate.

Voila! Enjoy it while crying because you gonna be amazed how this simple dish can be so delectable!

 ** You can serve it warm or chilled! I served it with caramelized banana on top.

No comments

Post a Comment